Skip to main content

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

 Hello Friends,

Happy Wholesome foods Wednesday! (I don't know if that's a thing yet... guess I just made it up if it's not 😆). I don't know if I can think of anything better than a hot cup of homemade soup on a cold rainy afternoon, sitting curled up in a cozy blanket all snuggled by the fire.😍 This recipe is my go to when I want a yummy warm cup of soup on a blustery, cold, wet day or when one of my kiddos is feeling under the weather. It is always an instant pick me up and soothes an upset tummy or an achy, tired body and satisfies my families appetites when they are getting hangry. 😋 To make this extra filling I like to add in a mix of shredded chicken and any ground elk or beef I have on hand (that has already been cooked) for a bit of extra protein. 

There is just something so satisfying about a steamy cup of homemade soup on a cold winter day that soothes my soul and warms me up quickly. My family is always so happy to gobble up any homemade soup I present them, but this is a classic and one of their ultimate faves :) Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! 

INGREDIENTS:

3 celery stalks chopped

3 medium size carrots chopped

1/2 of a sweet onion diced

1 tablespoon of coconut oil

1 or 2 32 ounces of organic chicken broth (I generally use 2 boxes for a larger batch of soup)

2 cups shredded chicken (cooked)

1/2 teaspoon each of: basil, oregano, onion salt, salt & pepper (or to your preferences)

1 bag of organic egg flour noodles (or 1  1/2 bags for a larger batch)

*Optional:

1 can of corn, drained

1 bell pepper chopped

1/2 tsp of garlic powder

2-3 slices of cooked, turkey bacon diced (to sprinkle on top or cook in the soup. We like to add it while the soup cooks for added flavor)


INSTRUCTIONS:

In your Instant Pot: 

-Add chopped carrots, celery and diced onion with a tablespoon of coconut oil and press the saute' button. Saute' for 3-5 minutes or until veggies soften. 

-Next add in shredded chicken (*also can add in shredded elk or shredded beef to make a heartier soup) and stir to combine

-Add in noodles and seasonings and stir well to mix ingredients. 

-Cover with organic chicken broth (may not cover the top of noodles and that's okay ;))

-Place lid on IP and set press manual for 5 minutes. Once timer goes off do a quick release, turn off heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Serve and sprinkle with a small amount of shredded cheese or a dollop of sour cream if preferred. 

*This soup pairs well with homemade rolls or store bought works great too :) 

ENJOY!  


What are your favorite meals on a cold Fall/Winter day? I'd love to hear them and your recipes, leave me a comment and tell me some of your faves! :) 

~K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plantations of Charleston, Part II: Middleton Place

  Middleton Place: part II of "Plantations of Charleston" series Our tour of Middleton Place, a 320 year old rice plantation began just shortly after our tour of Drayton Hall (if you missed that post click the link here:  https://thishomeschoolerslife.blogspot.com/2021/07/how-to-have-perfect-day-touring.html ).  Middleton Place sits on 110 acers along the Ashley river  and is home to 65 of America's oldest landscaped gardens, historic plantation home, stables and an organic farm. Immediately upon arrival you'll feel like you've been transported to the English countryside. A large stately home (all that is left after Union troops burnt the North flanker and original home during the Civil War) surrounded by vast open green spaces, free roaming livestock wandering about, massive oaks in the distance ready to offer a reprieve on a hot sunny day are waiting to greet you and lend to the iconic atmosphere that is felt the moment you first step foot on the grounds.  One...

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

  Creamy Chicken Enchiladas: This yummy recipe for chicken enchiladas is sure to be a crowd pleaser and be a hit even with picky eaters! It is super easy and adaptable, you can whip it up in a snap while catering to your families health needs/preferences and individual tastes :)  What I love most is that I can prep multiple dishes all at once, one for tonight and one for later in the week or to pop in the freezer for a night I am short on time and but want to provide a homecooked meal for my family (double bonus🙌).  First start with gathering all your ingredients:  -Tortillas: Either store bought or homemade ( I love to use flat out brand, 5 grain fold it tortilla's (healthier version) or Mission whole wheat or flour tortillas (my kiddos prefer these as they are a bit softer and less chewy texture).  -Meat: Chicken (or any other meat could be substituted. *I also love to use ground elk or organic grass fed ground beef, both are equally delicious) -Rice: Basmati...

Delicious Pumpkin Scones

 Hi friends,  If you are looking for a yummy fall treat to bake for your family these pumpkin scones will be the perfect fit! This delicious recipe comes from my aunt J who is an incredible cook and loves to bake up yummy treats to share with family and friends. A few years ago I planned and hosted a surprise tea party for my grandmothers 85th birthday and of course a tea party wouldn't be complete without yummy food! My aunt happily baked up these amazing scones along with her exposition scones (recipe and more info about the tea party can be found on my instagram @thishomeschoolerslife.   ) for the party.  They are always a big hit & devoured quickly ;)  I knew I had to get her recipe to bake them with my kiddos  :)   Pumpkin Scones:  2 Cups Flour 7 Tablespoons Sugar 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder 1/2 teaspoon Salt 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon Cloves 1/4 teaspoon Ginger *Mix all the above ingredients & cut...