Skip to main content

Creamy pumpkin, chicken & veggie soup with homemade croutons

 Hey there friends,

Since it is Thanksgiving week I've been pondering the things that I'm grateful for even more, whether they are big or small. Today, I'm extra thankful for my beautiful family that I have the privilege of taking care of, that I could whip up a recipe using what I had on hand & that they can be the Guiney pigs for trying my new recipe's on haha ;) 
I was flipping through recipes in my recipe box today and came across one that looked delicious but I realized I hadn't tried it before, so what better time to try it out than today right? Whelp, I got started on the recipe only to realize I didn't have half of the ingredients😅 Ooopsy! 

So I did what any momma would do who doesn't want to waste ingredients or time lol and added in several ingredients that I thought would pair well with what the recipe called for and created a new version of this soup. The results: My hubby's new favorite soup! My kiddos also raved about it and the yummy croutons, haha. Glad I wrote down what I added & supplemented so I wouldn't forget and I can recreate this soup for him ;) 

I don't have an actual name for this soup so I'm going with: "Creamy pumpkin, chicken & veggie soup" :)

Ingredients

  • 1/2- 3/4 can of pumpkin puree (* I may try the full can next time for a richer pumpkin flavor)
  • 5-6 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled & chopped
  • 3 medium carrots, chopped
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion
  • 1/2 bag frozen peas
  • 12 bag frozen sweet corn
  • 2 cups shredded (cooked) chicken
  • A 32 oz carton of chicken stock (* I prefer O Organics brand or Costco brand, Kirklands)
  • Spices: Pink Himalayan salt, ground black pepper, basil, oregano & 21 seasoning salute from Trader Joes
  • Toppings: Shredded Cheese & Homemade Croutons: Any bread you have, sliced into squares the size of croutons

Directions: 

  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees for Croutons*
  2. Add one spoonful of coconut oil to base of Instant Pot or large pot/pan
  3. Chop all veggies and add to IP or pot
  4. Saute' veggies 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly
  5. Add chopped potatoes, shredded chicken, pumpkin puree & a sprinkle of spices to your IP or pot and stir to combine
  6. Pour in chicken stock, add lid and cook on manual for 5 minutes in IP, or until bubbling if in pot on the stove (stir regularly to make sure veggies don't stick to the bottom)
  7.  
    **While soup is cooking: slice several pieces of bread into thin strips, cut strips into square size pieces and add to a baking dish or cookie sheet. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil, salt, pepper & the 21 seasoning salute over the pieces. Bake for 12-15 minutes depending on your preferred level of crunch. * I baked ours for 15 minutes and they were perfect, just right amount of crunch and they didn't get soggy even on our last spoonful of soup! 
  8. When timer goes off on IP do a quick release, and add in a splash or two of heavy whipping cream to thicken soup (* If desired), stir well to combine. 
  9. May also add additional pumpkin puree if desired, stir well to combine.
  10. Ladle soup into bowls, sprinkle a handful of shredded cheese and homemade croutons on top. Serve immediately. YUM! Enjoy!! :)
Let me know what you think! I'd love to hear any recipes that you've whipped up on a whim or had success salvaging when/if you've been in a situation like I mentioned above lol ;) 
Also, you can follow along with our homeschool journey & find more recipes etc at my instagram link: thishomeschoolerslife/

Happy Thanksgiving week friends! 

~K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

  Creamy Chicken Enchiladas: This yummy recipe for chicken enchiladas is sure to be a crowd pleaser and be a hit even with picky eaters! It is super easy and adaptable, you can whip it up in a snap while catering to your families health needs/preferences and individual tastes :)  What I love most is that I can prep multiple dishes all at once, one for tonight and one for later in the week or to pop in the freezer for a night I am short on time and but want to provide a homecooked meal for my family (double bonus🙌).  First start with gathering all your ingredients:  -Tortillas: Either store bought or homemade ( I love to use flat out brand, 5 grain fold it tortilla's (healthier version) or Mission whole wheat or flour tortillas (my kiddos prefer these as they are a bit softer and less chewy texture).  -Meat: Chicken (or any other meat could be substituted. *I also love to use ground elk or organic grass fed ground beef, both are equally delicious) -Rice: Basmati...

Cowboy Casserole

 Hello friends,  If your family is anything like mine they will love this super simple & delicious hearty casserole. I love that it is filling, healthy and can easily be made ahead of time or frozen to keep on hand for the busy days we just don't have a ton of time but I still want us to eat a homemade meal. :)  *Check here for link to another yummy meal I think your family will love and that can easily be made out of left over shredded chicken you didn't use for this recipe: *Preheat oven to 375 degrees 1) Start by adding 6-8 frozen chicken breasts (I purchase a big bag of individual flash frozen chicken breasts at Costco) into my Instant Pot and line them side by side. (Also can be made with lean ground beef/lean turkey/sausage or ground elk). Cook on manual for 14-15 minutes, let sit another 5 minutes before quick release. 2) Dice 1/2 of 1 onion * (while chicken is cooking) 3) Drain one 15oz can of sweet corn 4) Add first three ingredients to a large mixing bowl ...

Easy homemade Devonshire Cream

  Hi friends, This easy Devonshire Cream recipe is sure to be a hit that will delight your family while whisking you away to the English countryside, (even if it's only in your dreams ;) ). It pairs perfectly with these Pumpkin Scones:  https://thishomeschoolerslife.blogspot.com/2020/10/delicious-pumpkin-scones-recipe.html and these Exposition Scones (recipe found at #thishomeschoolerslife @ instagram and is a delicious topping for many breakfast/brunch dishes.  To make Devonshire Cream you will need:  8 ounces of full fat Cream Cheese 1 cup full fat Sour Cream 2 Tablespoons Cream 1  1/2 cups powdered sugar 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice 2 teaspoons vanilla or 1  1/2 for more vanilla flavor *Beat cheese in a kitchen aid mixer or hand held mixer for 1-2 minutes & add in other ingredients one at a time. Stir in sugar gradually and beat for 3-5 minutes until whipped together well.  *Remove from Mixing bowl and place into a serving dish.  *If not se...