Skip to main content

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

 Creamy Chicken Enchiladas:

This yummy recipe for chicken enchiladas is sure to be a crowd pleaser and be a hit even with picky eaters! It is super easy and adaptable, you can whip it up in a snap while catering to your families health needs/preferences and individual tastes :) 

What I love most is that I can prep multiple dishes all at once, one for tonight and one for later in the week or to pop in the freezer for a night I am short on time and but want to provide a homecooked meal for my family (double bonus🙌). 

First start with gathering all your ingredients: 

-Tortillas: Either store bought or homemade ( I love to use flat out brand, 5 grain fold it tortilla's (healthier version) or Mission whole wheat or flour tortillas (my kiddos prefer these as they are a bit softer and less chewy texture). 

-Meat: Chicken (or any other meat could be substituted. *I also love to use ground elk or organic grass fed ground beef, both are equally delicious)

-Rice: Basmati or Jasmine is our preferred, but any type will work: Brown, white, multi-grain, quinoa, etc. (I like to make extra during meal prep earlier in the week and will set aside a reserved portion to use for the enchiladas)

-Sour Cream Or Plain Greek Yogurt

-Cheese: Blend of cheddar & Colby Jack is our preferred *any cheese or non dairy substitute cheese can be used (however I am not terribly familiar with how non dairy cheese substitutes cook so cooking times will need to adjust accordingly).

-1 Can of sweet corn (drained) (I like to use O Organics from Safeway or Kirkland Brand from Costco)

-1 can 15oz or 28oz of enchilada sauce for a larger dish (I tend to use a 28oz can if I am filling a 9x13 baking dish. * I generally fit 8-10 enchiladas into a 9x13 dish) *Homemade sauce would be scrumptious but lets be real, most of the time I don't have the additional time needed to prep and make a sauce, so I use a premade sauce and it still tastes delicious ;) 

-Cilantro fresh or dried to sprinkle over individual enchilada or over entire dish

-basil seasoning to sprinkle over individual enchilada or over entire dish

-Optional:

*1 can of diced green chilis (any brand will work)

*1 can of sliced olives (any brand will work)

*1 can or 1 cup of cooked black beans (I like to use O Organics brand)

*1 can of refried beans (I like to use O Organics brand black bean refried beans)

*diced tomatoes for a topping when served

*Homemade salsa or store bought salsa to garnish

*Sour Cream or plain Greek yogurt for garnish

Steps:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Prep your baking dish with a spray of cooking spray (I prefer to use Trader Joes Coconut Oil cooking spray)

Begin with a tortilla, load with a spoonful of refried beans & a small amount of sour cream or Greek yogurt down the middle of the tortilla (sometimes I prepare with just one of these ingredients). 

Next add a layer of rice and  a layer of meat.

Top with a spoonful of corn, olives, diced green chilies or any other ingredients you desire. 

Sprinkle with a handful of cheese and a light sprinkle of cilantro and/or basil seasoning. 

Carefully tuck one side and begin to roll tortilla, tuck in other side as you roll. Place rolled tortilla into dish against edge. Repeat steps above, add additional rolled enchiladas behind previous enchiladas until your dish is full. 

Pour can of enchilada sauce over entire dish of enchiladas & sprinkle top with additional handful of cheese 

Place baking dish in preheated oven (350 degrees) for 30-35 mins or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly

Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. 

*I like to serve with either: rice, refried beans, homemade guacamole and chips, or Mexican corn (depending on what I fill my enchiladas with) or a simple garden salad with slices of avocado, tomato and bell peppers.

I hope your family loves these creamy, cheesy, enchiladas as much as we do :Leave me a comment and let me know, I'd love to hear if your family liked the recipe or about any additions/changes you made that were a hit with your family! 

Happy cooking friends!

~k

** I'd love to connect with you! To find more about our life, adventures, homeschool tips, recipes and real life follow me on Instagram at: https://www.instagram.com/thishomeschoolerslife/I look forward to connecting with you there! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey that brought me to homeschooling: part II

Hi friends, Today I thought I'd share about our journey to homeschooling with you. I've had a few inquiries on my Instagram account about what got me into homeschooling lately and I'd love to take you on the journey with me while I reminisce :) So lets go back to the beginning, a little over 9 years ago my kiddos and I were living a completely different life. We were barely hanging on by a thread and just trying to survive another day. That's life, living with an abusive alcoholic and meth addict. I am so grateful and beyond thankful to say that my kiddos and I are survivors of domestic violence/abuse and that we are here, thriving and living an incredible life. One that God has brought so much restoration and healing to, we are safe, happy, healthy and loving the life we are privileged to be living. If you or anyone you know happens to be in a horrible situation, living with a violent partner I encourage you to seek help when it's safe for you/them to do so and t

Travel tips for Glacier National Park: during the Covid-19 Pandemic & post pandemic

  “ Wander here a whole summer, if you can.   Thousands of God's wild blessings will search you and soak you as if you were a sponge, and the big days will go uncounted. (John Muir) Hello friends, I'm so glad you're here to join me in "The Joy of Travel" series, part 3: Glacier National park is a special place for my family, it is filled with wonder and awe at the majestic beauty that surrounds the entirety of the park & the incredible creativity of our creator. The park is surrounded by the most amazing peaks of stunning glaciers, the Rocky mountains and Clark, Lewis and Livingston ranges, with the highest peak being Mount Cleveland. Upon driving into the park visitors are met with gorgeous views that will delight any mountain lover at first glance of the stunning Lake McDonald, flanked by glaciers & all throughout the breathtaking drive along the famed "Going to the Sun" road. There are numerous stops along this amazing highway that is carefull

The best Instagram-worthy murals in Savannah

  Howdy friends, I'm so glad your here! Join me while we check out some of the awesome murals in Savannah Georgia.  If you're anything like me you love art, a good mural & finding the best, most unique ones in a large city. On my recent travels to Savannah Georgia I scoped out a plethora of murals that I know you're going to love. Check out several of my favorites below and be sure to like, save and follow along for more murals, hidden gems and travel insights from around several of the USA's top cities. One of our absolute favorites was the:   Welcome to Savannah   mural located on: 611 West Oglethorp Avenue (Shown in photo above). It is on the back side of the Thunderbird Hotel and easily accessible. It just so happened that the parking garage we found was just a block away & as an added bonus it was on our way towards the historic River Street.  Another one of my faves and a must stop for any Pepsi fan is the:  Pepsi Loves Savannah  mural located at: 4009 Mon