Skip to main content

Dutch Baby breakfast/dessert recipe

 Hello friends,

 


Are you looking for a quick, easy and delicious recipe for dinner tonight, or wanting to make a special breakfast perhaps?  Then you will love how versatile and simple this recipe is! My family loves it and it is a breeze to whip up in a hurry. I think you will love how delicious & fun and how easy it can be altered for allergies and health restrictions. 

Dutch baby recipe came from a small restaurant owned by Victor Manca in Seattle during the 1900's. He was an immigrant from Germany who coined the name for this recipe they served in their restaurant. The actual type of German pancake originated in Germany & has served as a staple breakfast dish throughout Germany.


Dutch Baby:


1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees

2)Place  2 tbsp. butter (or coconut oil) into a cast iron skillet or Dutch oven and place into oven while it is preheating. 

3) Batter In a medium or large mixing bowl combine:

*1 cup flour (all purpose, gluten free, coconut, almond etc) *It can be adapted to any flour that you prefer

*1 cup milk

*6 eggs

*Wisk together until smooth

4) Remove buttered skillet or Dutch oven from oven & pour batter over melted butter into hot pan/Dutch oven

5) Bake: 25 mins or until lightly golden brown and batter has risen

6) Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5 minutes

7) Slice into either 6, 8 or 10 equal servings

8) Serve with:

* home made whipped topping, or store bought ( we love So Delicious cocowhip (made with coconut milk) cool whip found at Walmart or Truwhip found at Safeway, they also have a delicious vegan recipe. 

*We also love to put fresh berries or carmelized apples and honey 

*Syrup or any other dessert sauce could be used (a drizzle of caramel, chocolate sauce or hot fudge would be really yummy too!)

*Peanut butter, almond butter or any other nut butter would be a tasty addition 

* I just found this amazing cinnamon bun spread available at Trader Joe's stores (for a limited time) that we tried and it is so yummy! 

9) Store any remainder in a tupperwear dish in the fridge for up to 7 days. Reheat in 20-30 second intervals in the microwave to desired temp. 


Alternative options:

To make the dish more savory:

*Add diced ham, onions, and bell peppers


For the holidays:

 I love to add a tsp of one or a mixture of multiple: 

*Pumpkin Spice *Nutmeg *All Spice

*Homemade or pure organic Vanilla or vanilla bean 

*Top with homemade caramel sauce, caramelized spiced apples or spiced apples/pie filling & homemade whip


Have fun baking this yummy breakfast for any meal of the day. It serves well as a side dish, entree' & also is a great dish to serve for a brunch gathering. 

* If I'm wanting a more filling meal I like to serve this with hashbrowns & chicken sausages

Happy baking friends! 


~K


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey that brought me to homeschooling: part II

Hi friends, Today I thought I'd share about our journey to homeschooling with you. I've had a few inquiries on my Instagram account about what got me into homeschooling lately and I'd love to take you on the journey with me while I reminisce :) So lets go back to the beginning, a little over 9 years ago my kiddos and I were living a completely different life. We were barely hanging on by a thread and just trying to survive another day. That's life, living with an abusive alcoholic and meth addict. I am so grateful and beyond thankful to say that my kiddos and I are survivors of domestic violence/abuse and that we are here, thriving and living an incredible life. One that God has brought so much restoration and healing to, we are safe, happy, healthy and loving the life we are privileged to be living. If you or anyone you know happens to be in a horrible situation, living with a violent partner I encourage you to seek help when it's safe for you/them to do so and t

Travel tips for Glacier National Park: during the Covid-19 Pandemic & post pandemic

  “ Wander here a whole summer, if you can.   Thousands of God's wild blessings will search you and soak you as if you were a sponge, and the big days will go uncounted. (John Muir) Hello friends, I'm so glad you're here to join me in "The Joy of Travel" series, part 3: Glacier National park is a special place for my family, it is filled with wonder and awe at the majestic beauty that surrounds the entirety of the park & the incredible creativity of our creator. The park is surrounded by the most amazing peaks of stunning glaciers, the Rocky mountains and Clark, Lewis and Livingston ranges, with the highest peak being Mount Cleveland. Upon driving into the park visitors are met with gorgeous views that will delight any mountain lover at first glance of the stunning Lake McDonald, flanked by glaciers & all throughout the breathtaking drive along the famed "Going to the Sun" road. There are numerous stops along this amazing highway that is carefull

The best Instagram-worthy murals in Savannah

  Howdy friends, I'm so glad your here! Join me while we check out some of the awesome murals in Savannah Georgia.  If you're anything like me you love art, a good mural & finding the best, most unique ones in a large city. On my recent travels to Savannah Georgia I scoped out a plethora of murals that I know you're going to love. Check out several of my favorites below and be sure to like, save and follow along for more murals, hidden gems and travel insights from around several of the USA's top cities. One of our absolute favorites was the:   Welcome to Savannah   mural located on: 611 West Oglethorp Avenue (Shown in photo above). It is on the back side of the Thunderbird Hotel and easily accessible. It just so happened that the parking garage we found was just a block away & as an added bonus it was on our way towards the historic River Street.  Another one of my faves and a must stop for any Pepsi fan is the:  Pepsi Loves Savannah  mural located at: 4009 Mon